University of Wyoming
Education.jpg
Old Main, University of Wyoming. The tower was removed in 1915.


University of Wyoming


Introduction


The Ninth Territorial Legislative Assembly,1886, provided for the building of the University of Wyoming to be located at Laramie City, Wyoming; the government of the University was vested in a Board of Trustees, three of whom at all times to be residents of Laramie City. The trustees were appointed by the governor, with the consent of the legislative council for a term of four years each. The Board of Trustees was empowered to elect a president for the University, such professors, tutors, and other officers of the faculty as they deemed necessary, all to serve at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees.

By an Act of Congress of February 28,1881, "An Act to grant lands to Dakota, Montana, Arizona, Idaho, and Wyoming for university purposes," the University of Wyoming is a land grant university. The Constitution provides for the establishment of the University of the State of Wyoming to be equally open to both sexes, irrespective of race or color; the State legislature to provide by law for the management of the University, its lands, and other properties, by a Board of Trustees, composed of seven members, appointed by the governor, with the consent of the senate, the powers and duties of the board to be prescribed by law; the president of the University and the superintendent of public instruction to be ex-officio members.

The First State Legislature, 1890-91, amended those sections of the 1888 law relating to the establishing of the government and maintenance of the University of Wyoming; this law increased the number of members of the Board of Trustees from seven to nine, who were appointed by the governor, with the consent of the senate, for a term of six years each; the Board of Trustees constitutes a body corporate by the name of" The Trustees of the University of Wyoming"; they have full custody of all properties of the University; the board is empowered to elect a president, secretary, and treasurer, the term of office of said officers and their duties to be fixed by the by-laws of the board.

The Sixteenth State Legislature, 1921, provided for the membership of the Board of Trustees, which included the governor as ex-officio member, otherwise the membership remained the same as of the 1890-91 law. The law affecting the management of the University has not materially changed since 1890-91; the University is managed by a Board of Trustees, composed of nine members appointed by the governor, with the consent of the senate, for a period of six years each; the governor, the president of the University, and the superintendent of public instruction are ex-officio members of the board; the board elects its own officers, prescribes rules for the government of the University and all its branches; elects and prescribes officers, professors, instructors, and employees, and fixes the salary and term of each; prescribes the courses of study; it is charged with all of the property of the University, with authority to hold, manage, lease, or dispose of said property according to law.

The Board of Trustees, through the president of the board, makes a biannual report to the governor before the first day in November immediately preceding the meeting of the state legislature, one copy filed with the governor and one with each house of the state legislature.