Wyoming Supreme Court Building
Sub Neg 17635, WY Supreme Court building exterior, people on sidewalk, 1937.jpg
(WSA Sub Neg 17635)


Address: 2301 Capitol Avenue Cheyenne, WY 82002
Constructed: 1936-1937
Dedicated: May 10, 1937
Style: Neo-classical
Stone: exterior of Indiana limestone, interior partially Tennessee marble
Architect: William Dubois
Construction Contractor: John W. Howard
Remodeled: 2006
Home to: Wyoming Supreme Court, State Law Library


The State Supreme Court and Library Building, as it was first known, was completed and occupied in 1937 and is located on two blocks of ground which comprised the west half of the City Park; this land was donated by the City of Cheyenne and the Union Pacific Railroad, who originally donated the land to the City for a city park.

This building was the concept of Governor Leslie A. Miller, who, with Supreme Court Justices Kimball, Blume and Riner, Attorney General Lee, Messrs. Thomas Hunter and Edward T. Lazear, State Senators, authorized a legislative bill providing funds for the construction of this building, which was approved by the 1935 State Legislature.

A fund of $163,363 (45%) was granted to the State Capitol Building Commission by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The State provided $200,000, using as support for a bond issue a fund for the erection of public buildings at the Capitol, this fund having been accrued from the sale of certain lands donated to the State at the time of its admission to the Union.

At the time, the Capitol Building Commission included: J. Kirk Baldwin, State Treasurer; William M. Jack, State Auditor; Edwin W. Burritt, State Engineer.

William Dubois was the supervising architect, John W. Howard the construction contractor.

In 1946, this building housed the State Supreme Court, State Library, State Historical Department and State Museum, Equalization Board and Public Service Commission, State Liquor Commission, and the State Bank Examiners Office. In 2006, the building was remodeled and a new entrance was constructed matching the original architecture. Many original elements, like light fixtures, vault doors and marble panels, were reused. The State Library was moved to its own building in 2009. Today, only the Supreme Court and Law Library (separated from the State Library in 1968) remain in the Supreme Court Building.[1]
  1. ^ From The Wyoming Historical Blue Book (1946) with updates